The Arkhangelsk

< Main Page

< WWII Weapons Library

The Arkhangelsk was a Battleship, that was used to be named in WW1 the HMS Royal Sovereign, received a loan from the british, this was also used in the latter of the war. This ship survived many attacks from the Germans directed at her. She went to serve as a flagship in the war. On August 29th 1944 she was commissioned into the Soviet Army. In 1947 it was returned to it's previous owners, and in return the Soviet Union claimed the Italian battleship Giulio Cesare. It was eventually found in poor condition and was scrapped.

Stats for gun-nuts

Operator: Russia
Crew: 1,240

Length: 620.1 ft
Beam: 88.5 ft
Draught: 33.6 ft

Engine: 18 x Babcock & Wilcox boilers feeding 4 x Steam turbines developing 40,000 horsepower to 4 x Shafts.
Speed: 26 mph
Range: 4,800 miles